My Quick Guide to Twitter

Social media is one of those things that everyone seems to be talking about.  From the local stores, photographers, to the White House.  Social media is everywhere. One of the biggest names in social media is Twitter.
What is twitter you might ask?  Twitter is a platform for you to update or share statuses, thoughts, articles, pictures, ask questions, etc to the world in 140 characters or less.  It has become one of the best ways for people to communicate with one another.


Playing the DS



Here are a few things to know about Twitter.  
  • First, you only have more for 140 characters, spaces included.  So you have to be on point.  There's no room for telling the tall tale.  
  • Your Twitter User Name is call a "handle."  @... will be followed by your twitter username.  For example my Twitter Handle is @olasis.  This is how people will communicate and acknowledge with you on Twitter.
  • Your twitter updates / posts are called Tweets.
  • If you find an article, thought, contest, etc, you can easily spread the work by "retweeting" the message.  To retweet or RT, all you have to do is look for the "Twitter" button on articles or on the tweet itself.  Check with your Twitter app to see how to RT.
  • With twitter you have the ability to sync it up with Facebook, Google+,etc.  
  • One thing to note,twitter has these things called hash tags aka the "#" symbol.  These help organize your 140 character thoughts and ramblings.  For example there tags such as #FF, which denotes Follow Friday.

Twitter, when used effectively can help, promote, and engage a person and or business to their Twitter followers.  One suggestion for those that are starting out in Twitterverse is to start following people, businesses, and organizations, that you support and believe in.  One of the best ways to find people to follow on Twitter is to look for #FF on Fridays.  Twitter users suggest to follow certain users and most #FF suggestions have a theme such as "Photographers" or "San Diego's Best Bets."  Therefore depending on your liking, you can find other Twitter users with similar interest as you.


Consider how you want to use your twitter account.  Do you want to use it for promotions, share your daily thoughts and stories, or create a movement.  There's a ton of possibilities.  Just be careful on what you post and how many times you post.  Bad post or posting too much can turn off your followers and force them to unfollow you.


I love Post-its!

I enjoy Twitter because it allows me to receive and share stories, articles, pictures, and thoughts easily with all of my family, friends, and followers.  One aspect that is great is that via Twitter I can get up to the minute information on breaking news, deals, and happenings even before they are made aware through mainstream media.


As a photographer, I use twitter to update and stay in contact with my clients and fellow photographers on new blog post, pictures, products, and updates with my photography business.  It has become one vital part of my marketing plan.     


My Twitter handle is: @olasis  (www.twitter.com/olasis).  Give me a follow and I'll give one back at you.  I look forward to tweeting with you on twitter.


If you have further questions, leave me a question in the comments below and I'll be happy to answer them for you.  :)

No comments: